Graduate Vacancies: 50 (2018)
What does your organisation do?
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion.
We are recruiting for the Nuclear part of Wood with 2,500 around the UK and Europe. We are a trusted partner in nuclear; operating on 5 continents, in more than 15 countries and have 60 years of unrivalled experience.
What area(s) / disciplines of engineering and technology do you recruit?
Mechnical, EC&I, Physics, Process, Project Management, Civils, Chemistry and Materials, Quantity Surveyor, Communications
How do you create an inclusive workforce?
Wood Nuclear have a vision to “create an environment where everyone feels comfortable to be themselves and can contribute fully to our collective aims.”
We have a Diversity and Inclusion Steering Committee with networks associated with gender balance, BAME, LGBT+ amongst others (e.g. Clear Minds and the importance of mental wellbeing).
We create an inclusive workplace through awareness, understanding and promoting a culture that encourages and respects ‘diversity of thought.’
Top tips for applying for a role at Wood
- Think big! We are a huge company with lots of opportunities. If you have the desire to build a successful career – we can provide you the global platform to do so.
- Think best in class. The Nuclear part of Wood prides itself on excellence – we need to attract and develop a diverse talent pool to be the next generation of leaders.
- Think diversity of thought. As a company, we are hugely passionate about diversity and inclusion. It’s not just about the visible differences, it’s about the invisible differences that make you who you are. We want people to proud of their individuality and what that can bring to Wood.
Name: Shengke Zhi
Job Title: Nuclear Business Development Manager
Engineering Discipline: PhD in Mechanical Engineering; BEng in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Shengke was born in China and came to Manchester in 2003. He holds an Engineering degree from China, PhD in Mechanical Engineering from The University of Manchester and MBA from Alliance Manchester Business School.
Shengke joined the Nuclear business in 2012 and now work as a Business Development Manager, involving Nuclear New Build, Reactor Operational Support and Decommissioning. His role is to support operational business units to achieve their objectives by providing strategic direction and insights.
Shengke is a proactive advocate of shaping and developing collaborations with UK Supply Chain and Chinese organisations through sourcing and developing the crucial expertise and capacity building that this requires. He has also been integral in developing strong links and support to some of the world’s utilities with their nuclear ambitions.
His 3 top tips for people looking to join the Wood organisation:
- to be interested and passionate about the Nuclear industry,
- to be proud of your individuality and what this can bring to Wood,
- to be confident about your future success.