What does your organisation do?
With eight million customers we do something incredible every day; supplying almost two billion litres of water. From rivers and reservoirs across the UK, we connect communities with the world’s’ most precious resource.
We live in a fluid world and the water industry is changing. We’re moving with the current and our vision is to become the UK’s leading water company. Achieving it will take, what we call, Fluid Thinking.
What area(s) / disciplines of engineering and technology do you offer apprenticeship opportunities?
- Construction civil engineering apprenticeships - Level 4
- Electro-technical apprenticeships - Level 4
- Engineering manufacture (operator and semi skilled) apprenticeships - Level 3
- IT, software, web and telecoms professionals apprenticeships - Level 6
60 Apprenticeship places for 2018, start date 13th August.
How do you create an inclusive workforce?
We have received a significant amount of recognition for our programme, with a highlight being Regional Winner (2016) and Highly Commended (2017) in the National Apprenticeship Award Macro employer category in the West Midlands. We are also an apprentice programme industry leader in utilities apprenticeships, working on a regular basis with the government, National Apprenticeship Service, ESFA and other employers in our sector to share best practice.
In the last year we have introduced an inclusive strengths based approach to recruitment, which has improved diversity and candidate experience and reduced application time, held a Women in STEM event during National Apprenticeship Week, launched our ‘Skills4Success’ programme, which will see local young people join us for a week of employability skills, that traditionally wouldn’t have the opportunity to spend a week with a FTSE 100 employer.
We have focused on delivering improvements that will have a real impact and benefit our business, drive our diversity commitments and that offer a lasting legacy.
Top 5 tips for applying for a role at Severn Trent
- Explore different roles and find out where your skills could fit in
- Read about the water industry and Severn Trent and find out some interesting facts
- Take time to understand the application process and what you need to do
- Use the opportunity to ask questions at events and shows where the company attend
- Be yourself, we look for and assess on potential